Saturday, October 8, 2011

Conclusions

It's November 23rd of 2011 and we are nearing the end or conclusion of this year; so hard to believe.  January seems long ago from a time perspective and yet as I searchingly turn sights to the past 11 months in an effort to discern clearly all my emotions; the time seems to have elapsed at light speed.

I don't want it to end...I can already feel myself separating from the year, moving on with life and other pursuits and focuses. You know how it is, at some point everything that happened in 2011 is referred to as, "remember in 2011 when..."  But life moves on and I will hold onto the memories, emotions, and experiences.


My last event this year was the NYC Marathon on Nov 6.  I signed up through the MMRF to raise money and race.  I was blown away by the generosity of everyone I contacted.  What started as a $2,500 goal quickly moved to a $4,000 goal and finally, together, we exceeded that with a final tally of $5,980 to fund research that covers 30 or so blood related cancers.  


The NYCM was more than just a marathon.  It was all about the experience. Jody and Bernardo are the natives, they were a large part of the reason I chose to live in NYC in 1999, I had so much fun visiting them and loved their life in the city.  They hosted us, while my Dad and Catherine jumped up from Charlotte for the weekend and we were all happy to have Dian and Herb join us from Maryland.  Here we are (sans Bernardo who is running, he started later than me), but we got a great photo of him on course with Catherine, right before we took this photo.
We had a phenomenal time all round!  You'll notice Bernardo lost his "r" at this point, he later blamed this on getting a hug from a large breasted gospel singer in Brooklyn...Jody was quick to adjust the cheering signs so we'd all be in synch.


Bernardo has now completed the marathon six times.  He does it with style, from his qualification races, to the preparation and finally the race...he just has fun!  He takes it seriously enough for sure, but in the end for him too, it's all about the experience and I feel blessed to have shared in the experience with him and with my family.


I am grateful for my family as it has grown over the years.  Catherine and my Dad celebrated their 20th Anniversary recently, a true milestone. I love them so much for who they are, what they've brought into my life and how they've shaped me. I am grateful for all that they do to support me, love me and certainly put up with some unusual and difficult shenanigans over the years.  Annie and I are excited to have them in the West next year for their celebratory trip.   

May you all find peace and wisdom in journeys.

No comments: