Saturday, February 6, 2010

SAW LXXXVIII - the movie

I've never liked the SAW series of movies, just a bit too gory and too much insight into a sick and twisted mind.  However, I do have some photos that probably qualify for some future installment of their movies.

Sandy, my wound nurse, changes the woundVAC dressing three days a week.  She's AWESOME!  Sandy is fun loving, easy going and makes this awful process totally bearable.  Greg and Annie have documented the healing process since she began changing the dressings on Wednesday, the day after I was released from the hospital.  By all accounts the healing process is ahead of schedule.  My live-in nutritionist and lovely wife, Annie, has ensured I am eating foods that promote healing along with a lot of rest, other than some PT exercises and the occasional outing.  

This past Monday, I had my first follow-up with the orthopedic doctor who performed the surgery to eradicate the infection in the wound.  He gave me the thumbs up on the healing process and instructions to continue to bear weight as pain allowed on my leg.  I don't see him again for another two weeks.  I think the highlight for everyone, including me, was the response I had to the increased pain medications I took prior to the woundVAC change in the doctor's office.  I've never been so loopy my whole life.  Sandy would ask,"Does that hurt?" and I would just laugh.  Needless to say, we've cut back on pain medications....but, that doesn't mean we can't have a little fun with this whole mess.  Sandy and Annie thought it appropriate to "dress" my wound up a bit this past Friday for some fun.
 

Even though we are only ending our second week, the end is in sight and I am getting accustom to the tubes that hang off me and the portable pumps I have to carry around with me, wherever I go.  I do get some strange stares occasionally while out and about, I simply say I am an experiment, I normally live underwater and the pumps keep me alive on land. Hell we're in California, anything is possible, right?  Although, I did scare a small child.  

I keep an upbeat attitude most days, but I'd be false if I said there aren't tough days too, I've had a couple this past week.  Trapped, irritated, angry...I can be my own worst enemy.  Annie keeps me focused and loves me through even the toughest of moments, I don't know what I would do without her compassion.

For those with a strong stomach and who would like to see more interesting and revealing pictures, check out this link: Staph Recovery

I started back to work on Monday.  I've got a reclining camping chair (nothing like the Big Bubba chair I had when I first broke my leg, but it will do just fine) and a lap desk for the computer.  I'm obviously limited to computer work and phone calls, client and office visits are still not feasible. I'm happy to be back, it is certainly a nice distraction, along with the view.  I'd be going nuts if we were still in Boulder for the winter.



"I know but one freedom and that is the freedom of the mind." -  Antoine de Saint-Exupery

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good to read your update and also chat with you this morning. Your positive attitude and great support from Annie and Greg are going a long way to speed your recovery. And,hearing you discuss the patience you must embrace to ensure your continued progress is certainly a key element. Thinking of you every day, Dad