Saturday, March 26, 2011

HOKA (Hoh - Ca) ONE ONE "Time to Fly over Earth"

Training is progressing.  I did my first track workout in almost two years last week with Stephen and ran in a 5k race. Lately, I've received a few inquiries regarding shoes.  I've been primarily running in two different pairs: NorthFace and HOKA ONE ONE.  Given my recent struggles with tendinitis in my right foot, I've also added Sole insoles for support.  The NorthFace are more akin to a stabilizing shoe while the HOKA is more of a neutral shoe.  A friend of ours wrote a great review in Runner's World (http://gear.runnersworld.com/2010/06/what-the-hoka.html).  Lisa really knows her stuff.  
Here to the right, you can see the IMMENSE EVA platform in this picture.  The HOKA shoes take awhile to break in, the upper is very stiff (I'm still having issue with right foot and the edge of the upper digging in just below my ankle - but that is very specific to "me").  Particularly on the downhills, the upper will dig into your foot though because you literally "fly" over terrain with barely a touch.  You do have to be aware that you are running with a 3" platform and you'll need to raise your stride to hurdle common obstacles or risk biting the dust (as I have a few times). I went with a half size larger than my regular shoe size due to the toe box and my feet sliding forward and crunching my toes.  Other than those three things, I love running in these shoes.  My only concern is the large EVA platform and the degradation over many miles of training.  The company that makes the HOKA say the longevity of the sole is better than other pure EVA soles and that Karl Metzler, a professional Ultrarunner has put over 600 miles on a pair, but I'm still going to use my own experience to gauge whether I ultimately will ever race in the HOKA.  I will leave you with this, when you start running in them, it does make you feel like it's "Time to Fly over Earth"!

I was in Del Mar, CA this past week, the irony was so thick...it was almost exactly a year ago I had the PICC line removed from my vein, the antibiotics stopped and the WoundVAC came off. So what did I do...I went for run on the beach I walked many times on with Annie, carrying my fanny pack and "man purse".  It was a solemn experience while also a rejoicing event, I was grateful for the opportunity to end a chapter with a successful exaltation to the lady of the sea.

"The greatest pleasure in life, is doing the things people say we cannot do."
-- Walter Bagehot

No comments: